Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the closing of a chapter

i am really bad already at updating this. i have a good excuse though. i wrapped up student teaching, grabbed the student teacher of the year award, and have been in the process of graduating and getting set for China.

it is hard to believe student teaching is over. it flew by so quickly and even though i looked forward to the last day, leaving was one of the hardest things i have done recently. you know, besides signing my life away to China. my kids and teacher made a scrapbook with pictures and letters they wrote me. it was adorable and brought tears to my eyes. this particular group of kiddies will always have a special place in my heart. i recently went back to visit and the look on their faces when they realized it was me was priceless. i was tackled for hugs and pounded with questions. some asked "are you back for good?", "how was your trip to China?", "are you staying for recess?" :] i was honestly speechless and i couldn't stop smiling. this little group of first graders stole my heart. here is a picture of me, my teacher, and the kiddies during our field trip my last week with them. aren't they adorable?

ok so about this whole "Student Teacher of the Year" award. never in a million years did i expect to receive this award. like, seriously. if you only knew the ongoing joke paige and i had for the past year. it's absolutely hilarious, but such an honor. i really gave everything i had into these kids and teaching them. i always remember semesters/years prior to the "student teaching" semester and how freaked out i was about it. i never thought i would make it through, but check who is graduating in two days. yup. five years later i finally receive that diploma dad has wanted me to grab since i started five years ago. :) i was completely suprised that i won the award. my best friend and roomie, paige, knew all along i had won but wouldn't tell me--she went so far as to show THE MOST excitement i have ever seen come out of her little body, but she refused to spoil the surprise. props to the roomie for throwing out all kinds of curve balls to divert my thinking elsewhere. she even went so far as to telling me that one of our other student teacher friends won. i bought it all. unfortunately when we walked into the building to find our assigned seats another friend showed me what i had won in the program. she would have surprised me completely had that friend never spoiled it because i definitely do not read programs. :) i remember calling paige a booger and laughing so hard because it was hilarious one of us actually one the award. then all her lies, all her diversion stories, everything started to come together. i know, i'm a genius. lol paige did tell me there were more suprises but i figured it had to do with the kids at school. well, as i walked off stage from receiving my award i heard dr. locy ask my parents to stand. when i looked up my jaw dropped. i had NO idea they were there! AND what makes it better...they knew all along too! my mom seemed short with a phone call i had with her the day before, so when i saw them afterwards she said "i couldn't spoil it for you al!" :) oh and by the way...i totally was awkward on stage, don't worry. i walked up too soon and ended up standing up there next to dr. locy as he read the biography that paige so lovingly wrote. mrs. batten told me i was the first student teacher to ever do that, and i told her that you can't expect things to be normal with me around. :] here are some pictures of that day too. one of me and the rents and then with paige aka summa cum laude. she got some BANGIN BLING that day. :p




it's been a week since student teaching has ended and i have enjoyed the break SO much. it was well deserved, i think. :) i was busy finishing a portfolio for teacher certification and putting together a support letter for my journey to China. still working on both as i have done MORE relaxing and resting than anything else the past week. :p i am also trying to spend a good bit of time with everyone as i complete this chapter of my life. hard to believe i graduate in two days. i will wake up tomorrow and say "dang, dude--you are graduating tomorrow morning". it's unreal, it's bittersweet. i'm ready to graduate--no doubt about it. i'm just not ready to pack up and say goodbye. life is about to change big time. i am still in the process of getting prepared for China...i just hope China is getting prepared for ME. :D

3 comments:

  1. umm, you totally left out that i knew the whole time too & that i was part of the surprise. thanks al, i love you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so you! I love it! I can't wait to keep reading your updates when you are in China. I'll go to Wades and take pictures of the food for you and send them to you. Fried okra, mac n cheese, potatoes and gravy, two chicken legs. and jello...we can't forget the Jello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SUPER proud of you! No doubt you earned that award just by being the Aly we all know and love. God has great plans for you - China is SO lucky!

    Congratulations on ALL of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete